Prostate Cancer Screening Guidelines
Prostate cancer is the leading noncutaneous cancer among men and it imposes a high burden of costs across the healthcare system. Various organizations have provided guidelines for the screening of prostate cancer as a preventive strategy for the disease. The American Cancer Society(ACS) and the American Urological Association (AUA) are among the top organizations that have developed recommendations for prostate cancer screening. While these two organizations provide solutions to the problem, similarities and differences are observed in their prostate cancer screening guidelines.
The ACS recommends that screening for prostate cancer should be done to men after explaining the uncertainties, risks, and potential benefits of the exercise (ACS, 2020). Similarly, the AUA allows for the screening of prostate cancer to take place upon considering the values and preferences of individuals (AUA, 2018). The second similarity is observed in the use of the prostate-specific antigen (PSA ) test. The ACS recommends PSA screening every two years for individuals whose PSA levels are below 2.5 ng/mL (ACS, 2020). Similarly, the AUA recommends an interval of two years for PSA tests to reduce harms associated with screening.
The ACS and AUA have differences regarding routine screening of prostate cancer. For instance, the ACS recommends screening for men aged 50 years who are at average risk of prostate cancer and are expected to live 10 or more years (Acs, 2020). On the contrary, the AUA does not recommend routine screening of men aged 40 to 54 years who are at average risk of getting the disease (AUA, 2018). Additionally, the AUA guidelines prohibit PSA screening of men under the age of 40 years. This account is not clearly observed in the ACS guidelines.
American Cancer Society. (2020). American cancer society recommendations for prostate cancer early detection. https://www.cancer.org/cancer/prostate-cancer/detection-diagnosis-staging/acs-recommendations.html
America Urological Association. (2018). Early detection of prostate cancer. https://www.auanet.org/guidelines/prostate-cancer-early-detection-guideline
- Nursing practice in NMC code of Conduct 2015
- Code of Professional Conduct for Nurses in Australia
- Professional Code of Conduct
- Compare and contrast the ANA or ICN Code of ethics for Nurses Practice Act.How does each one guide the nursing practice.Provide examples to get your point across.
- Summarize the study, explain the ways in which the findings might be used in nursing practice, and address any ethical considerations associated with the conduct of the study.
- Describe evidence-based practice (EBP) and its relationship to nursing research, nursing practice, and healthcare. (Domain – Educative Practice, Evidence-informed Practice,‘Process – Scholarship, Patient Safety)
- Understanding nursing research – building an evidence based practice 6th edition by Grove, Gray and Burns (2015)
- Conduct a PICO(T) search on the nursing problem related to Psych Nursing.
- Critically examine bioethical issues in healthcare, research, and nursing Posted on 2nd October 2015 by Mike G in Assignments This assignment is intended to critically examine bioethical issues in healthcare, research, and nursing. This film is intended as a venue to stimulate critical thinking, analysis, generate discussion and discover understanding about underlying assumptions that influence your own perspectives about the meaning of bioethical theories and principles.As you watch the film, think, observe and reflect to address the following ethical framework listed below: Justice Based ethics, Right based Ethics, Duty based Ethics, and Virtue based Ethics. Focus on the roles and behaviors of the: nurse, physician, scientific community and society under each framework. Your assignment is to address the above roles as it relates to each of the framework with examples from the film. This paper should be the length that the writer determines is necessary to effectively convey the expected information.
- Conduct a search of the literature for articles that explain the current nursing shortage in the United States
- Unit 9 Assignment: Statistical Analyses for Organizational Decision-Making in Healthcare
- Part 1: Quantitative Analyses
- Understanding Simple Linear Regression: Statistical Technique in Review
- Understanding Independent Samples t-Test: Statistical Technique in Review
- 2.3 Study Types And Statistical Tests
- An Example Of A Multivariate Procedure Is Analysis Of Covariance (ANCOVA). Explain What Is Meant By The Following Statement: ANCOVA Offers Post Hoc Statistical Control
- What Statistical Test Was Used In Nelson?
- Describing Statistical Test