Phyletic Gradualism vs Punctuated Equilibrium
Write 3–4 pages on the following (not including the title and reference
- Explain the concepts of phyletic gradualism and punctuated equilibrium.
- What predictions about the fossil record does punctuated equilibrium make?
- In this model, what are the processes that produce rapid evolution? Which
evolutionary factors are responsible for the periods of relative stasis?
- Patterns of punctuated equilibrium have been observed in some cases, but the
debate between punctuated equilibrium and phyletic gradualism continues and
provides interesting areas of research. Based on your research into the
scientific process, what evidence do we see today that supports a long history
of life on the planet?
- What evidence do we see that supports evolution by gradual change?
- What evidence do we see that supports the concept of punctuated equilibrium
(Visited 33 times, 1 visits today)