Assignment Prompt: Identify an outcome of nursing practice in your area of practice that can be improved.
Summary: A theory can be used to guide practice. This assignment is an exercise in supporting a clinical practice with theory and evidence. Directions: Identify an outcome of nursing practice in your area of practice that can be improved. For example, if you work in home health, you may identify that throw rug use by fall risk patients is too prevalent. You may be able to use the problem that inspired the theory concepts that you developed in week two.
Briefly support why it is a problem with evidence from the literature. This is not the major focus of the assignment so do not elaborate.
Create a clinical nursing (not medical) theory in the form Concept A | Proposition | Concept B. Think of the structure like two nouns and a verb. While the term proposition is much more complex in the dictionary, in our use it is the connecting term between the two concepts. Examples include Concept A improves Concept B, Concept A is related to Concept B, when Concept A increases then Concept B also increases, etc. When you get to research, you will explore this further as you develop independent and dependent variables. How to use these statistically will come in research and statistics courses.
This clinical theory is identified as an empirical theory when you get to the C-T-E model later in this course. It is empirical in that they can be measured.
Identify and define your concepts. Identify how they could be measured in a research study. Be careful that you do not use compound concepts. If you find the words “and” or “or” in your theory, you are probably too complex.
If you research your question and seek funding, you will need a theoretical model to guide the research. In our assignment, we are using Watson. You will identify the concepts in Watson’s theories that are represented by the concepts you are using in your clinical theory. Match the proposition in her theory with your proposition. To help, the 10 Caritas Processes are Concept A. Choose the one that matches your concept. To clarify, let’s look at Caritas 1 Embrace and use it in middle-range theory. Sustaining humanistic-altruistic values by the practice of loving-kindness, compassion, and equanimity with self/others (Concept A – Very complex and abstract) improves (Proposition) subjective inner healing (Concept B).
Remember that the paper is not about the problem. It is about constructing a clinical theory and matching it to a middle-range theory and conceptual model your clinical theory represents.
Conclude the paper with your discoveries made in your readings and the impact on the nursing profession of your discoveries. Explore, briefly, discovered questions that require further research. Summarize the paper in the conclusion.
Present your outcome in an APA formatted paper that meets the University’s standards for a written assignment.
Due: Monday, 11:59 pm PT
Length: 5 to 7 pages including title and reference pages
References: 3 to 10. There should be enough to support the links between the concepts of the problem and the concepts of Watson’s Theory of Caring.
See USU NUR Research Paper Rubric for additional details and point weighting.
Identify an outcome of nursing practice in your area of practice that can be improved Related posts:
- Areas of nursing practice, which evidence-based practice has improved patient outcomes
- Grand Canyon NRS433V full course: areas of nursing practice; which evidence-based practice has improved patient outcomes
- Two areas of nursing practice, which evidence-based practice has improved patient outcomes.
- Outline the process for the development of nursing standards of practice for your state, including discussion of the entities involved in developing the standards of practice and how the standards of practice influence the nursing process for your areas of specialty. Outline the concept of professional accountability as it pertains to nursing. Provide examples of how a nurse demonstrates professional accountability in clinical expertise, the nursing process, and evidence- based practice.
- Identify one area of nursing research that has improved patient outcomes
- Describe evidence-based practice (EBP) and its relationship to nursing research, nursing practice, and healthcare. (Domain – Educative Practice, Evidence-informed Practice,‘Process – Scholarship, Patient Safety)
- What do you believe about the influences of theory on nursing practice? What value do you place on using a model for practice as an advanced practice registered nurse? Has your philosophy of advanced practice nursing change
- The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) was passed into legislation in March of 2010. Identify the impact of this legislation on your nursing practice by choosing two key nursing provisions outlined in the topic material “Nursing and Health Reform.” Discuss how these two provisions have impacted, or will impact, your current practice of nursing.
- Proposal for improved Healthcare Research based on the modern technologies at AHRQ
- how a current information system used in the delivery of patient care contributes to improved patient outcomes
- Activity Week: play a clinician and diagnose fictitious individuals with mental disorders
- Community Needs and Health Screening Initiative