Conduct a Family Health Assessment
Understanding family structure and style is essential to patient and family care. Conducting a family interview and needs assessment gathers information to identify strengths, as well as potential barriers to health. This information ultimately helps develop family-centered strategies for support and guidance.
This family health assessment is a two-part assignment. The information you gather in this initial assignment will be utilized for the second assignment in Topic 3.
Develop an interview questionnaire to be used in a family-focused functional assessment. The questionnaire must include three open-ended, family-focused questions to assess functional health patterns for each of the following:
Select a family, other than your own, and seek permission from the family to conduct an interview. Utilize the interview questions complied in your interview questionnaire to conduct a family-focused functional assessment. Document the responses as you conduct the interview.
Upon completion of the interview, write a 750-1,000-word paper. Analyze your assessment findings. Submit your questionnaire as an appendix with your assignment.
Include the following in your paper:
Describe the family structure. Include individuals and any relevant attributes defining the family composition, race/ethnicity, social class, spirituality, and environment.
Summarize the overall health behaviors of the family. Describe the current health of the family.
Based on your findings, describe at least two of the functional health pattern strengths noted in the findings. Discuss three areas in which health problems or barriers to health were identified.
Describe how family systems theory can be applied to solicit changes in family members that, in turn, initiate positive changes to the overall family functions over time.
Cite at least three peer-reviewed or scholarly sources to complete this assignment. Sources should be published within the last 5 years and appropriate for the assignment criteria.
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite. A link to the LopesWrite technical support articles is located in Course Materials if you need assistance.
Conduct a Family Health Assessment Related posts:
- Review and reflect on the family assessment tools you have seen this week. Then using a family assessment tool of your choice develop an assessment plan for a family that includes a child or adolescent, young or middle aged adult, and a senior citizen. Explain how this type of assessment will be beneficial in a family centered practice. Be specific and use examples.
- What is a definition of family that encompasses the different family structures prevalent today? Discuss the importance of acknowledging nontraditional family structures. Explain how family systems theory can be used to better understand the interactions of a modern family (traditional or nontraditional).
- Family Health Assessment: Identify two or more wellness nursing diagnosis based on your family assessment
- Topic 2 Family Health Assessment assignment. Identify the social determinants of health (SDOH) contributing to the family\’s health status.
- Review and reflect on the course resources. Using the guidelines found in the Making Health Literacy Real Toolkit (see the CDC website) or other credible tool, conduct a health literacy assessment on your family, place of employment, or a patient. Identify potential barriers and strategies to overcome in improving health literacy. Identify whether there are any vulnerable persons or groups in your assessment and any special interventions you would employ when working with them and why. Be specific and use examples
- complete a family health assessment: develop three open-ended, family-focused questions for each of the following health patterns
- Choose a family in your community and conduct a family health assessment using the following questions below
- Impact of stress on the family and the role of the family nurse practitioner in delivering care that is family centered
- Family Assessment and Phases of Family Therapy
- Initial assessment: Find a potential client (friend, family member, current training client, or even yourself) and initiate an initial assessment.
- Pathophysiology Assignment
- Create an executive summary to analyze the use of nursing informatics standards, information regulations, and the science of nursing informatics