Comprehensive Assessment Carolyn Cross #2
● Financial Stability
○ Carolyn’s socioeconomic status responses indicate she lives comfortably with
her husband and two sons. Until the pandemic occurred, Carolyn & her
husband’s combined income was able to support their family of four & have
sufficient disposable income remaining. This is no longer the case.
○ Until four months ago, Carolyn maintained full-time employment as a
learning specialist at a local middle school. When schools were closed due to the
COVID-19 outbreak, Carolyn was furloughed. She is still awaiting her
unemployment compensation. Her husband is an accountant who is employed
full-time at a nearby firm and works intermittently from home and at the office.
Healthcare and retirement benefits are provided at both places of employment.
Carolyn Cross-Comprehensive Health Assessment for Patients and Populations
● Housing Instability
○ Carolyn lives in a single-family home located in a middle-class suburban
neighborhood. Until the pandemic, Carolyn reported no difficulty making the
monthly mortgage payments on their current house. However, since the family’s
income is dependent on only her husband’s salary, they are currently behind on
one month’s mortgage payment and utility bills.
● Carolyn graduated from high school with honors and received a full scholarship to
the University of Texas
● Carolyn holds a Bachelor's Degree in Elementary Education from the University of
Texas. Carolyn obtained a Master’s Degree in Special Education (M.Ed.) and is currently
employed as a middle school learning specialist at the local middle school where she
teaches and evaluates children with disabilities.
● Carolyn is bilingual and Spanish is her primary language. The patient has a graduate
degree and has high levels of literacy.
Health and Healthcare
● Carolyn lives near her primary care physician’s office, but they are only conducting
virtual visits due to the social distancing requirements. Until the pandemic, Carolyn had
easy access to a pharmacy 2 miles away, but now this location has closed and she must
travel 20 minutes to the downtown location. She has adequate transportation, but
funds are running low for fuel costs, so she restricts the use of the car to limited local
travel. Employer-sponsored health insurance remains intact, but funds for co-payments
and medications are no longer available.
● Her last annual physical was one year ago. She had a mammogram last year and a
pap smear three years ago. Both exams were negative for any pathology.
● Carolyn is able to read and write and has no learning disabilities. She is comfortable
with using technology. She is able to comprehend instructions from her healthcare
providers, communicate her health needs, and advocate for her healthcare. She has a
basic understanding of her health care plan.
● Carolyn’s medical history includes fibrocystic breast disease.
Neighborhood and Built Environment
● Carolyn lives in a middle-class suburban neighborhood in Houston, Texas with
minimal exposure to environmental toxins. She reports sidewalks and parks are nearby
with several hiking paths, but she is reluctant to access them for fear of contracting the
● Carolyn has access to several convenience stores and two full-service supermarkets
within five miles of where she lives where she can purchase healthy food and fresh
produce. She lives near healthcare facilities. She has limited private and public
● Carolyn has adequate housing. She denies violence, abuse, or trauma in her home or
neighborhood. She denies any environmental dangers in her home. Her community has
a neighborhood watch system in place.
Social and Community Context
● Carolyn states she spends most of her free time with her husband and their two
sons. Carolyn typically saw her parents every week, but since the pandemic, Carolyn &
her family have practiced social distancing. Carolyn is increasingly stressed because she
is unable to participate in her mother’s care.
● Carolyn states she is a registered voter in her county and regularly participates in
local and federal elections. She admits she is not involved in any community activities
because of her family’s needs at this time.
● Carolyn reports no incidents of unfair or unjust treatment due to her race or gender
in the workplace, community, neighborhood, or various social settings.
● Carolyn reports no history of incarceration, and states that neither of her parents have ever