Case Study: Charlie Leonard is a 68-year-old widower who has been increasingly withdrawn and lonely. Five months ago, his wife died very suddenly after a cardiac arrest. He was with her when she died. They had been married for 42 years. He is a longtime member of his church, but he has missed services and Bible study classes for the past five Sundays. He used to love to watch baseball on TV and take walks around the block, but he states he no longer has the interest or the energy to do so anymore. He has had flashbacks of his wife’s dying moments and has a difficult time sleeping. His appetite is poor and he has lost 10 pounds in the past month. Often, Charlie has difficulty sleeping during the night because he often takes a few naps during the day.
He is referred to you, a psychiatric nurse practitioner, by his primary care nurse practitioner.
From your perspective as Charlie’s psychiatric nurse practitioner, answer the following questions
1. Identify one screening tool you could use when evaluating Charlie: EX: Hamilton Depression Rating Scale, Patient Health Questionnaire (PHQ-9), Geriatric Depression Rating scale,…etc
2. Discuss your understanding of processing (with EDMR) How would you know whether Charlie was ready for processing?
3. What interviewing techniques (use motivational interviewing) would best be used with Charlie? How would you vary your interviewing techniques if Charlie were a young adult instead of being an older adult?
4. Identify whether eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR) therapy would be helpful for Charlie. Provide evidence to support your decision. If you think it would not be, provide evidence for another psychotherapeutic intervention that would be helpful.
5. How would you support a person who has processed trauma between sessions?
Case Study: Charlie Leonard is a 68-year-old widower who has been increasingly withdrawn and lonely Related posts:
- Nursing Ethical and Legal Case Study: The Case of Muna
- Clinical Case Presentations: Students must post one interesting case that he/she has seen in the clinical setting via Discussion Board in the online part of this course. The case should be an unusual diagnosis, or a complex case that required in-depth evaluation on the student’s part
- Submit a write-up based on the Iatrogenic Hymenal Case Study (PDF). After reading the case study about M.J., document a write-up of her female genitalia system
- HIM 301: Case Study Two Read the Chapter 5 Case Study Bar Code Evaluation in your textbook and answer the discussion questions
- Obesity Case study; Darlene, aged 32yrs Case study
- Reducing and Preventing Hospital Readmissions
- Community Teaching Plan: Teaching Experience Paper